Book Your Consultation ›

One Quarter of Road Traffic Fatalities are Work Related

Home/Personal Injuries/One Quarter of Road Traffic Fatalities are Work Related

Nearly a quarter of all road traffic fatalities in the Republic are work-related, according to a new report published by the international Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH).

The institution, which represents more than 46,000 members in 120 countries, is the world’s biggest professional health and safety organisation.

Its Irish study included an analysis of coroner records on road traffic fatalities in Ireland over the four-year period from 2008 to 2011. The study found that of 833 road deaths analysed, 193 were work-related. That amounts to 23%. Those most at risk of a work related road fatality were identified as those driving for work; those who work on the side of the road; and non-workers or bystanders whose deaths are associated with a work-related driving activity. Of the 193 deaths, 85 per cent were bystanders, while the remaining 15 per cent were of workers themselves. Of particular concern was the number of drivers of large vehicles in the Republic who had been unaware of collisions with pedestrians or cyclists until they were halted by a witness further on in their journey.

The Road Safety Authority has warned of consequences for employers who fail to put in place company “driving for work” policies.

The full report can be downloaded here.

If you have suffered work related injury or lost a loved one due to a fatal injury and believe that someone may be at fault contact Glenn Cooper or St.John Dundon

2017-03-30T12:07:13+00:00 March 30th, 2017|Personal Injuries|
Contact Us ›

How can we help you? Book a Consultation today

Before you sign on the dotted line, make sure you’ve got sound legal advice…
Contact Us ›